Monday, August 23, 2010

This Mommy Needs Help!

I think I'm going to try to potty train Isaac starting tomorrow, using the 3 day potty training guide...gulp. I'm not super confident this will work, but everything else I've tried recently just isn't working. I know a lady I used to work with tried this with her boys and it worked out really well and I just recently came across a blog post where a mom tried it with her son and it worked. I've tried putting Isaac on the potty every hour and it wouldn't go for me. In the past two weeks of trying he has only actually gone on the potty 4 times. Currently any time I put him on to go, he immediately wants to get off. I've done the sticker rewards system and even offered toys, but he doesn't seem to care. So now I'm desperate. He'll be 3 in October and just seems too big to be wearing diapers. So mom's, please help. I need some encouragement. Any potty training tips would be helpful as well. I know boys are often slower at this sort of thing, but I'm determined to get this kid trained :) (Okay, I'm sounding more confident that I really am... )What am I getting myself into???!!! Hopefully by the end of the week I can post about how excited I am that Isaac is potty trained... I'm putting this post on here to make myself actually do this. I need to be accountable somewhere otherwise I think I'll give up before I even start. Oh dear... starting tomorrow morning I'll be hopefully starting the 3 day potty training plan my son...we'll see how this goes. I really, really hate this sort of thing...
I leave you with this silly song/video I found on youtube.
UPDATE - Day 1: 6 accidents, plus 2 times in the potty and with him letting me know that he had to go (these were the last two of the day) = we will try again tomorrow. Plus he woke up from his nap dry too! Hoping the last two times of him telling me he had to go means that's progress. We'll see how tomorrow goes.
Day 2: Woke up to accident #1 - he peed the bed. Weird since he has been waking up with dry diapers and I didn't allow him any drinks after supper. He had 2 accidents after that and then after his nap he woke up, had a drink, and then told me he had to go potty. Yay! The next time he started to go and stopped and made it to the toilet to go the rest. And since then has told me he has to go. Praying this continues and hoping he doesn't wet the bed again. We'll see what Day #3 brings. I'm exhausted and really hope he's catching on. I think we need a day out of the house...hoping that can happen soon.

6 comments:

The Oppewall's said...

Hi Rachel.... just wanted to share how the whole potty training thing went with our Noah cause I felt the same way you did. But it seemed like the more I pushed the more he resisted. So we ended up dropping it for awhile and I think it was a month or so after he turned 3 we decided to go for it again and went straight to underwear. And after many accidents that 1st day and me almost ready to give up it suddenly clicked and he told me he had to go pee! And seriously it was a day and a half and he had it down. We continued with a sticker chart and after 5 stickers he got a prize and then we increased to to 10 stickers etc.... just to keep him motivated and then eventually he didn't even want them any more. So as much as you are stressed about getting him potty trained, I found it is SO much easier to wait until they are ready. Hope the potty training journey goes well... we should be pros by the time we have to do the second one huh? :)

SaRaH said...

Hi, Rachael, Nora was three and a half when she potty trained. She was two and a half and three, respectively, when I tried to make it happen. Based upon my experience of potty training one child (which makes me an EXPERT - lol), I recommend waiting until he really wants to do it. It's so much easier on both parties. Plus, in his defense, he just got a baby brother, a new house, and an entirely new community! (Now that I look at that, it's reason to give yourself a break, too!)

All that said, I hope your efforts go splendidly today! You never know!

Ed / Julie said...

Now, I have never potty-trained a boy, but after training four girls, I will tell you-it really is all up to the kid. I didn't truly figure that out until #3. I had one trained at 15 months (yes, really. I thought I was an amazing parent, but I later learned it had nothing to do with me.) Two girls trained at about 2.5 and one on her third birthday. She was the one that taught me that parents have little control. I had tried, but she just wasn't interested. On her birthday she said, "I'm 3 now? I will go on the potty!" And she did. You can try this method and it may work, but if it doesn't, give it a break until he turns 3 and maybe then he'll be ready. I know you're sick of changing diapers, but I promise he'll do it eventually. :)

Rachael said...

Thanks for your advice. Since I was able to get through Day 1, it looks like we'll try again tomorrow. The day ending great with him actually going on the potty twice and both times he let me know he had to go. Hoping it continues tomorrow. He's very excited about the underwear and being a "big boy", so we'll see how tomorrow goes.

Anonymous said...

In my experience, the first one was a war of the wills (She won!) and the second one I waited until C was ready and it was awesome. You'll know and they will know when the time is right. My advice is not to push it. I don't think he's too old for pull ups right now. Just keep it positive. I know that pull ups are expensive and you are tired of dealing with it, but he WILL do it all by himself one day, I promise!!!! Keep up the good work, you are a great mom!!

Kathryn said...

I potty trained Isaiah around 2 3/4's and he was trained, day and night in ONE day (I did the "potty training in a day" program). But I went through the same things as you did when I tried to potty train him earlier. The harder I tried, the more he resisted. Then when he was getting closer to the 3 year mark (2 3/4) I tried again, and it CLICKED!! It was so nice and we made fast progress. I wished I had just waited till then, as opposed to battle with him so many times previously! It sounds like its "clicking" with Isaac now! Way to go!! Don't get discouraged you are almost there!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...