Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A visit to the hospital...

It's day 3 of our vacation in Pensacola, FL and where am I sitting? A hospital room. My 4 yr old, Isaac, was diagnosed with walking pneumonia a week ago and instead of getting better he made a turn for the worse on Sunday evening. After calling the dr, since I was concerned about how much trouble he was having when breathing (even after a breathing treatment), they said I had to take him to the ER. Joe wasn't here since he still had to teach and was planning on coming at the end of the week. Thankfully my in-laws came, along with Seth, and we didn't have to wait at all once we got to the ER (which is amazing!). I was especially thankful for this after learning there were people waiting that had the flu...not something any of us want to catch. They tested Isaac and were quite concerned about his oxygen levels. I was thinking they would give him some medicine, we would be there for a bit for tests, etc and then be able to go. But his oxygen levels just wouldn't stay up, so they had to admit him. After a long night of Isaac getting breathing treatments every 2 hours he was doing much better in the morning. After his 8:30am treatment they decided to take him off the oxygen and stop his treatments all together. I was thankful for this since then it meant he could be unhooked from the machines and be able to go to the play area and roam the halls. He was full of energy but we found lots of things to do. Played with toys, games, puzzles, blew bubbles outside (which was a great way to get him to use his lungs), and painted. It was about 3pm and I was exhausted from not having a lot of sleep and trying to keep up with my energetic child. A volunteer offered to play with Isaac for a bit in the playroom so I could go lay down. That lasted for about 30 minutes and then the volunteer's shift was over. Thankfully Isaac came back to the room and said he was tired. Within minutes of laying down he was out.
Now it is 6:30am on Tuesday and it's raining. The past few days have been gorgeous. I'm really hoping the rain goes away once Isaac is released. He keeps asking when we are going back to the beach. We are hoping the doctor will release him this morning sometime.
Sitting here and seeing the other children that are sick here at the hospital, makes me thankful that Isaac had something that has been easily treatable. It was a relief to know that we would only be here a couple of days. I don't know how parents handle seeing their child in the hospital day after day. We walked past a little girl that you could tell had cancer and Isaac asked if she was a baby. I had to explain to him how there were some really sick kids here and how they just look different because they are so sick. Pray for these little ones that are here with different illnesses. Also, pray for their parents. It's not easy staying here in the hospital that no matter how nice the staff is or how long you stay, it will never be like home.

2 comments:

Connie Keller said...

We're so glad that Isaac is doing better. And we're praying that he'll be released soon.

Jamie Lynn said...

So glad that Isaac is doing better--- how totally exhausting for you, too! And yes, it's so heartbreaking to see so many children who spend more time in hospitals than they do in their homes... good reminder to pray for them! Hope you are feeling well with your pregnancy!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...